OHIO_Cushings

We are the Ohio Cushings!! Living & Laughing in Cleveland....snowy Cleveland. Dennis, Kristin, Travis, Kady, Camden and Carly too!!

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Family Man

This movie, starring Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni, was shown on TV Friday night - the day after Thanksgiving.

I can really relate to this movie - but not in the way you might initially think. In the beginning, Cage's character, Jack Campbell, is a very wealthy Wall Street banker - one who drives a Ferrari and has a beautiful girlfriend. He seemingly has everything & is very successful.

Then, he is given a glimpse, of what could have been...

He wakes up in a new life where he didn't leave his college girlfriend for a London trip. He's married to Kate [Leoni], lives in a small house in New Jersey and has two kids. Confused, yes. Jack desperately wants his rich lifestyle back for which he has worked 13 years. After all, he is president of P. K. Lassiter, an Investment Banking Firm, and not a simple tire salesman at Big Ed's Tires.

After a bad start, one where his new daughter is convinced he's an alien who's taken over her real dad, and where his son "sprouts a leak" while his diaper is being changed, Jack, day by day, becomes more confident in his new life and starts to see what he's been missing. He eventually realizes that life is not all about who has the most toys, or more $$ or the best office. It's about FAMILY. Having kids to laugh with, a wife to grow old with, friends/neighbors to bowl with, etc. He was given a glimpse of what his life could have been, IF he'd made different choices...

His glimpse over, Jack is returned to his wealthy investment banker lifestyle, a lifestyle he no longer desires. Jack tries to do whatever he can to find that "Family Man" feeling again - tracking down Kate however he can, and trying to convince her of his very realistic glimpse...


When I was younger, I considered myself to be very ambitious - I was going to be a Stockbroker, working on the New York Stock Exchange. My parents took my on a tour of the NYSE when I was 12 during a trip to New York City, and I knew what my career was going to be - a big time Stockbroker, complete with lots and lots of $$, and a Ferrari of my own...I never got that far.

Due to some choices I made, I was married and a father before was 20. I had not yet graduated from College. The prospect of working at Merril Lynch, being a millionaire by the time I was 30, and having that Ferrari quickly diminished as I had to take care of more than just my selfish needs & desires - I had a family for which I needed to provide.

Well the marriage didn't work out, and I was overwhelmed with bills from a divorce. I was rather bitter about the way having a child derailed my selfish career path. I told my friends I would never have any more children - never ever!! [Ask Mike, he can CONFIRM THIS!]

Then, I met Kristin. Then, I married Kristin. Then, I had a child with Kristin. And another. And another child [Sheeeesh!! Took that "pledge" to never have anymore children and blew it to smithereens, eh?]. And I love them all.

I guess you could say my life is an opposite of the movie. I am a Family Man. I don't own a Ferrari, and probably never will. I do play with my kids when it snows and definitely ALWAYS will. The movie "Family Man" gave me a glimpse of what my life may have been if I didn't hadn't become a father at 20.

In retrospect, I'm glad it all happened the way it did. I'm GLAD TO BE A DAD! I thorougly enjoy playing, hugging, teaching my children. I wouldn't trade any of them for a Ferrari and/or a job on Wall Street. I consider myself & our family "Blessed". We have good health, good times, and continue to make good memories. I'm glad my life isn't a movie...

2 Comments:

  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger OHIO Cushings said…

    And I am glad you called me back after I hung up on you the time you told me you didn't want any more kids.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Aaron said…

    D and D -

    How funny is it that I was sitting on my couch with my laptop, watching "The Family Man" and creating a blog post. I have the little image I downloaded from Google to prove it! However, I deleted it because I just couldn't find the words to put it all together the way it was running through my bald head. Well my friend, I believe you did it for me. You have been busy. Looks like I better check back more often to read your posts. They are great. This one was really, really good. That maybe one of the best movies EVER. Thanks for posting it. I may reference you in my next post, if you don't mind. Thanks again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home