OHIO_Cushings

We are the Ohio Cushings!! Living & Laughing in Cleveland....snowy Cleveland. Dennis, Kristin, Travis, Kady, Camden and Carly too!!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Left? Or Right? for me, Definitely LEFT!

Left-brained?

I’m pretty sure I am. Kristin will probably agree – quickly.

Think of Joe Friday on "Dragnet." Although I have more of a sense of humor, there are plenty of times where I’m a "The facts, Ma'am, just the facts" kind of guy.

I found this article on the internet. In case you didn't know, left-brained people are linear, focus on the literal meanings of words, tend to like logic and reason, and often score low on 'reading' nonverbal communication such as gestures and expressions. (We're usually a little of both, and to get into "whole brain thinking," to develop ouremotional intelligence.)

Here are the “The Top 10 Ways to Respond to a Left-Brained Person” – an article by Susan Dunn.

1. Give a reason (one reason will do), and answer the direct question.

Say: No, I haven't completed the Pleading. I had to file the Motion to Compel first. It had priority.

Do Not Say: I was busy; I had too much to do; I had to do something else. (Anticipate this: Did you or did you not, and if not, why not?)

2. Quantify and avoid vague references to time and money. Do not use words like "something," "sort of," "stuff," and "a long time." Avoid 'superfluous' adjectives and adverbs.

Say: It will take 4 days to get your shirt back from the dry cleaners. If I take it in today, you won't get it back in time for your trip Friday.

Do Not Say: Don't ask me to do stuff like that. It would take waaaay too long.

Say: This machine will cost you no more than $100 and no less than $50.

Do Not Say: It'll cost a lot, a ridiculous amount; We can't afford that.

3. Be serious. Avoid humor, sarcasm, double entendre, or anything ambivalent or ambiguous.

Say: I will have that for you by 5:00 this afternoon.

Do Not Say: You're joking aren't you? Tell me you're joking. (They aren't.)

Say: I can't do that by 1:00 and here's why. ... You will have to ask someone else to do it.

Do Not Say: In your dreams; Me and what 5 other people? Sure (sarcastically); anything you counteract with gestures and expressions (such as rolling your eyes to indicate 'no way'), will be missed.

4. Do not use metaphors.

Say: He talks that way because that's how they teach you to talk in the military.

Do Not Say: You can't change a leopard's spot. [I don't know what this means!]

Say: Yes, he has moved every three years.

Do Not Say: A rolling stone gathers no moss.

5. Do not be vague or refer to intuition. Refer to logic and authority when possible.

Say: He didn't go to school because he had strep throat and the doctor told me to keep him home for 3 days.

Do Not Say: I kept him home from school because I could tell he felt bad.

6. Talk about the trees, not the forest.

Say: Because this is the first 'First Anniversary Banquet,' there is no data I can analyze that can accurately predict the monetary success of this event.

Do Not Say: I don't know. How could I know? We've never done this before.

7. Stick to the topic.

Say: Yes, I got hold of Mr. Sanchez. He will meet with you on Friday.

Do Not Say: Yes, I got hold of Mr. Sanchez. Did you know he's getting married next week? She's a lawyer from Argentina. The wedding will be in Austin... and yes, he'll be here on Friday.

8. Supply context, and alert when changing subjects.

Say: Regarding the meeting with Bob and Jim last week..., and here's the report. Now, in another matter... [and pause for them to switch gears].

Do Not Say: Here are the financial figures, and by the way, Mary didn't like it when Bob and Jim...

9. To convince them of something, build your case with logic and reason, not emotion.

Say: I THINK I've earned a raise. I raised my sales 10% and brought in 5 new clients with increased revenue of $150,000.

Don't Say: I FEEL I deserve a raise. It's demeaning to be the lowest paid in the department. We'd all feel better if...

10. Be brief, factual, and to-the-point, talk slowly, enunciate, avoid pronouns, and make references clear. (Oh and keep your hands still!)

Say: Buy the Mazda. It's the best value. It costs 20% less and Edward [trusted mechanic] said it's in better condition.

Do Not Say: My gut says get the Mazda. He [gesture] liked it too. Plus it's got a lot of stuff the other one doesn't. Just hurry up and decide. This is driving me nuts (hands waving, voice getting emotional).

I must say, I really liked this article. It provided lots of logical, clear, concise information. I found myself shaking my head ‘yes, yes’ on every point. Hmmmm…Left brained? Obviously…

By the way, the author/website has a link on it where you can go and figure out what your “brain dominance” may be. Left? Right? Little of both?

Check this website out – either click on the link, or copy/paste into your browser.

http://www.ipn.at/ipn.asp?BHX

I actually scored a 10 [out of 10] for Left Brain Dominance.
The first tip I received was “slow down!” Hmph, Go Figure!

Hopefully this will help you in communicating with other folks you have discovered to be “left-brained”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home